Here’s the easiest way to calculate the amount of food and water you need for an emergency:
- Write down the name of ONE of your household members
- Write down all of the usual FOOD AND DRINK they consume in a day
- Then write down how many SERVINGS of each item above they usually have
- Multiply that by the “supply day” (x3 / x7 / x 14)
- Repeat that list process for the next household member
- And then the next household member…
- And then the next…
- And do the exact same for every pet
Once you've made a list for each human and pet:
- Make a new master list that includes each food, drink, and the total servings
- That will give you an estimate of how many servings you need to shop for each member of your household.
If you’re looking to simplify or give yourself some flexibility while shopping, you can swap out a specific item for specific item category. For example, you can use terms like “sweet snack” or “salty snack” in your tally lists. Or perhaps you write things like “dinner grain,” “dinner protein” or “dinner vegetable.” Then you can shop within that category and adapt as you’re in the grocery store. The main goal is to make sure you have an understanding of the volume for each category.
Still have questions about stockpiling and calculating the right amounts? No problem. Feel free to reach out to us directly, we've got you covered.
If you have additional questions, send them our way!